Yea!!! The boardwalk is FINALLY complete at Silver Lake so the trails are open!!!!! (The whole loop around the lake is not complete but the part I care about is done.) And it's a sunny day with highs around 80 degrees - perfect! It's a work day however, but I have my 40 hours in on Thursday; I'm just working for next Friday off. So just before 7am, I'm heading towards Silver Lake. Slow drive because I got behind a Concrete truck but hey, looks like Rocky Mt Power is down with their 2 year fire migration and the road is 2 lanes all the way up - yea! I arrive around 8am. It's sunny and 48 degrees but it feels colder for some reason. I reach the new boardwalk and it so nice. They made it much wider by the VC and a bit wider towards the foot bridge. It's a bit frosty this morning. I can see they are working on the pier across the way; the vehicle ruins the view. I reach the foot bridge and it's so big. Lots of room for folks fishing and folks just walking by. T...
Mostly cloudy day with temp near 50 (eventually). I actually have other plans today but severely needed some nature time so blah! on the plans, I'm heading to hike Antelope Island. I'm thinking shorter trail today since it's on 40 degrees and very windy (from north) when I reach. Oh, an no sun shining at least yet. Waterfowl populations seem much increased since last week. I'm passing Shovelers, Ibis, Avocets, Coots, and many more. I reach the Island and head south - oh, there's one lone bison behind the VC. And there are a few in the rocks at the curves. I spot a Burrowing Owl down from the pull-off. As I'm passing the Frary Peak area, I spook a male/female pair of Pheasant. They both take flight on the west side of the road. Not sure why but they fly east right at my moving car. The male veers left and passes either overhead or behind. The female flies right in front of my windshield. I slam on my brakes and thankfully miss her. My view (and experience) was in...
Cloudy day with temps in the mid-30s. Heading back to Little Dell Reservoir after work. This time I'm actually taking a hike and I'm still hoping to see that elk herd hanging out in SLC (near mouth of Parley's Canyon). Head up around 1:30 pm; still no elk but that dead moose is still on the side of the road. It's a hazy sunshine when I arrive in the parking lot. Lots of clouds but at least I'm out of the inversion! Way more cars in the parking lot too but it's a Friday. I put on my Yaktrak and head down the trail. Despite no real sunshine, it's a great day. It's quiet; I hear occasion voices from the road above, some crows/ravens, squirrels and a Chickadee. There are tracks but they are pretty faded or it's just the soft snow. Trail is hard packed. I get to the point in the trail with the sign stating (No Trail Work) with the chain across. I'm a little concerned that no one has been on that trail so I take the well-worned trail north. I have no ...
Comments
Post a Comment