Yea!!! The boardwalk is FINALLY complete at Silver Lake so the trails are open!!!!! (The whole loop around the lake is not complete but the part I care about is done.) And it's a sunny day with highs around 80 degrees - perfect! It's a work day however, but I have my 40 hours in on Thursday; I'm just working for next Friday off. So just before 7am, I'm heading towards Silver Lake. Slow drive because I got behind a Concrete truck but hey, looks like Rocky Mt Power is down with their 2 year fire migration and the road is 2 lanes all the way up - yea! I arrive around 8am. It's sunny and 48 degrees but it feels colder for some reason. I reach the new boardwalk and it so nice. They made it much wider by the VC and a bit wider towards the foot bridge. It's a bit frosty this morning. I can see they are working on the pier across the way; the vehicle ruins the view. I reach the foot bridge and it's so big. Lots of room for folks fishing and folks just walking by. T...
Mostly cloudy day with temp near 50 (eventually). I actually have other plans today but severely needed some nature time so blah! on the plans, I'm heading to hike Antelope Island. I'm thinking shorter trail today since it's on 40 degrees and very windy (from north) when I reach. Oh, an no sun shining at least yet. Waterfowl populations seem much increased since last week. I'm passing Shovelers, Ibis, Avocets, Coots, and many more. I reach the Island and head south - oh, there's one lone bison behind the VC. And there are a few in the rocks at the curves. I spot a Burrowing Owl down from the pull-off. As I'm passing the Frary Peak area, I spook a male/female pair of Pheasant. They both take flight on the west side of the road. Not sure why but they fly east right at my moving car. The male veers left and passes either overhead or behind. The female flies right in front of my windshield. I slam on my brakes and thankfully miss her. My view (and experience) was in...
Sunny day with highs around 40 degrees - finally a nice Friday to take a hike!! Heading up to Antelope Island; thinking about doing the Sentry Trail despite a still sore heel and right hip (pull muscle or maybe sciatica). It's in the low 20 when I arrive on the causeway. Still very frozen as it's been nothing but cold. After I cross the bridge and see all the ducks, I see a young Bald Eagle out on the ice. Definitely caught a duck this morning. (I get to see him flap his wings!) A bit farther, there's another Bald Eagle. He's a bit closer to the causeway and he too has a duck. Hey, there is a Tundra Swan out there as well! I've never seen a swan here before - lucky day! I arrive on the Island and head south towards the Ranch. There are no bison around the Visitor's Center this morning. It's not until across from Frary Peak til I see my next critter, a Pheasant. He perched on a tree branch. Unfortunately, he flies before I can take a photo. There's a p...
Comments
Post a Comment